I made this dish a couple weeks ago, and I enjoyed it. I found the recipe here: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/scooters-spaghetti
I made some changes to the recipe, so mine is below:
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef or soy crumbles (I used soy crumbles)
- 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese (I used reduced-fat)
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- French-fried onions (small can)
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Sautee vegetables in olive oil; when cooked, set aside. In same skillet, brown ground beef or soy crumbles. Drain excess grease. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and heat.
- Add cream cheese to vegetables and stir well. (If cream cheese is not soft, microwave for 20-30 seconds to make it easy to spread.)
- Using a 12 x 8-inch baking dish (or something close), assemble in the following order: thin layer of spaghetti sauce, cooked spaghetti, cream cheese/vegetable mixture, remaining spaghetti sauce, parmesan cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with french-fried onions and continue baking 5 more minutes.