A couple weeks ago I made up a couple batches of “homemade” taco seasoning and Italian dressing mix (the dry kind). I like the idea of having more control over seasonings like these, and I especially like controlling the sodium myself. Both recipes turned out well, with good flavor and similar to store bought versions.
Here is the recipe for the taco seasoning that I used:
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
To make, mix 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning mix with 1-1 1/2 lbs. ground meat/chicken/turkey. Adjust seasoning, as needed.
And here is the Italian dressing mix:
Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. Store in a tightly sealed container.
To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 cup white vinegar (I use rice wine vinegar-it has a very mild flavor), 2/3 cup oil, 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix.